Monday, June 22, 2009

Neurology Appointment=Good News!

We went to Layne's neuro appointment today and we learned that the EEG has IMPROVED! I have definitely learned my lesson not to pay attention to things I don't understand, haha! Even though on the screen it looked the same as always it was indeed different. His neuro explained that she studied 7 days a week for 2 years to be able to read EEG's and that we should pay no attention to that stupid screen!!


So anyways I'm sure you want to hear the news! The results: They are starting to see a more normal background pattern of his brain waves. He NO LONGER has hypsarrhythmia!!! Before on his EEG's they couldn't tell the difference from when he was awake and when he was asleep and other things like that and now they can!!!!! He does still have abnormal discharges coming from the back of his brain, which means there is potential for seizures but that doesn't mean he will have any. I asked what the back part of the brain controls and it is vision, so that explains alot. The back part of his brain has always looked the worse, wave wise. So overall it was good news! It's been a while since we've heard something that positive!


We are going to start a 28 week wean off the phenobarb too! I am excited about that because I have heard that helps improve development when they come off of it!


We also talked about the vomiting issue. We are going to try some meds for motility and run his feeds over an hour instead of over 30 minutes and see if that helps. I hope so because I feel bad for him when he is vomiting everyday:(


He still seems to be bothered by his ear infection. He hasn't been himself the past couple of days. He had a 101.7 temp when we got back from the doctor today. If he doesn't seem better by the morning we will be taking him to his PCP.
What would a post be without a pic? Here is one I took the other day of him swinging!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yah! it is amazing to here such great news!! i miss ya'll tons! it seems like everything is going great!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you got some good news on Layne!! Hope his ears get to feeling better soon.

Holli said...

No hyps?!! That is wonderful!

You definitely deserved to get some good news!

braden-kaleigh.blogspot.com said...

Way to go Layne on his EEG results. Hope he feels better soon and the new feeding schedule works for the vomitting.

Sophie's Story by Elaine said...

That is wonderful news that his background pattern is looking normal and that he no longer has hyps!!!

I hope the change in feeding helps with vomiting.